An interview with: Temur [ROC / YARR!]
Temur is an orc of few words, but many will recognise as a friendly GC regular.
He founded The Red Orc Clan [ROC] as a relatively new player, with an open, roleplay-friendly view of orcish bloodlines and a preference for letting players grow at their own pace.
We talked about orcs, founding an alliance, radio call-ins, and why it is best not to reveal a long research project...
Note: this interview was conducted whilst Temur was still leading ROC, he has since joined the pirate fleet over at YARR.
Let’s start with the basics. Where in the world are you based, and how long have you played Illyriad?
Based in London, England. Been playing for over a year.
How did you first find the game? What attracted you to it, and what keeps you playing?
I saw an online advert. I researched Illyriad and thought it would suit my slow play.
It was not a shoot-em-up game that needed quick reflexes. I played Elvenar: boring! I am a gamer. I liked Rome: Total War, Caesar III, and X2: The Threat, but play no other games now other than Illy.
I was a play-by-mail gamer in the 80s and 90s.
Play-by-mail. Those were the days - I used to play a few myself, mostly football manager related. What did you play?
My main PBM game was Delenda est Carthago. Met my wife through that. Result: a gaming son!
That is a result indeed - well done! So what do you think you are most known for amongst other players?
Hopefully fair, non-abusive, and a sense of fun.
Why an orc? And why do you enjoy GC so much?
Orcs tend to suit me in general. Big, loud, crashing around sort of guy.
Well, GC is there for talking, and so far nobody has told me to shut up. That will be an interesting day!
How would you describe your playstyle, and what do you most enjoy doing when you log in?
My style is slow. In some ways I like settling a new town rather than capturing it. Must change that!
I hunt, mine, and harvest to sell or craft. Got a billion gold in hubs, so Illy is my oyster!
Least liked thing? Going through towns looking at resources and deciding where to send excess...
Tell me about The Red Orc Clan. How would you describe it, and what makes it distinct?
The Red Orc Clan. Not all orc, as for roleplaying I thought it would be fun to have other races with some greenskin blood in them. So half-orcs are welcome.
I don't know about being distinct, but I let members play at their own pace, encouraging them to be resilient, meaning only asking for resources if they really need them.
Why did you want to start an alliance as a relatively new player, and what sort of player would you like to attract to ROC?
Why start an alliance as a new player? To learn more about the problems doing so.
As for players: new, vets, anyone who reads the alliance page.
Do you have any long-term ambitions for ROC, like land claims or war?
Land claims? No. Best not to sit next to me unannounced, but I welcome neighbours.
As for war, that depends on others starting them...
What is something people might be surprised to learn about you?
My surprise, such as it is: I'm a regular, long-term caller to radio stations using the tag IaninSurbiton.
Any Illy player who has heard me is entitled to say, "He's that idiot!"
You have to tell me more. What do you most commonly call about?
I call about anything from the silly to heavy politics.
Once I surprised a host who was talking about guns by revealing that in the 80s I owned a Smith & Wesson Model 586 .357 Magnum and made my own home loads, shooting at a range of 100 yards. He called me Dirty Ian.
What advice have you received in game that really helped, or that you now pass on to others?
Never reveal you're doing a long research, lest thee be sabotaged!
Is there a player or alliance you admire?
YARR. I am a pirate at heart, being English.
Are you working on any particular goals in game at the moment?
No goal in particular, but would like to always win the Pamanyallpa tournament square.
If you could change one thing about Illyriad or its community, what would it be?
Getting the factions really interactive with players, as I want trolls on my side!
You passed on the final questions about a message to the community and who you would like to see interviewed next. Is there a reason?
Not my thing to comment on the community or individuals.
Huge thanks to Temur for taking part in Voices of Illyriad.
You can find Temur in-game here: Temur’s Illyriad profile.
Comments are enabled, please feel free to discuss this interview or ask any questions below.
Comments
Post a Comment
Comments are welcomed, and are moderated before publish to promote civility and protect against botspam.